Pages

02 May 2010

The Moon

A few days ago, we had a beautiful full moon in the clearest of skies. Though the moon is always beautiful, always mysterious, there is something special, something powerful about the full moon--especially when it appears red. The metaphor of the moon is used over and over again, especially in mythlore and scary stories. Vampires and werewolves are controlled by the moon. Where does this sentiment come from? Why do people fear the moon?

As for myself, I love the moon; I relish its beauty and feel its power over the entire night. This power is probably the cause for our respect of the moon.

As a night owl, I have always felt this affinity with the night and the moon. I remember, back in high school when I would stay up all night, writing by candlelight and cursing anyone foolish enough to bother me. One night, we had a power outage due to a thunderstorm. Though I grasped any reason to light more candles, I quickly regretted the disturbance; my entire family woke up and joined me. I felt as if my peace had been ruined, my isolation broken. It was a violation of myself, my being, my power.

Maybe the moon is just a metaphor. Maybe it is synonymous with night, meaning isolation, peace, or fear. However, we don't have to understand it to feel its power.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. There is just something so relaxing about the glow of the moon.

    ReplyDelete